Nine elephants have been electrocuted in central Botswana after they knocked down overhead power lines while drinking from a leaking pipe, Reuters news agency reports.
The elephants were all attempting to reach the leaking pipe supplying water to residents of the village of Dukwi when the accident happened, the director of Wildlife and National Parks, Otisitswe Tiroyamodimo, said to Reuters.
“Investigations are still at a preliminary stage, but what we have discovered so far is that the elephants were helping themselves to water from a damaged supply pipe. The elephants were electrocuted when they knocked down power lines, which fell into the gushing pool of water,” he said.
There are between 150,000 and 200,000 elephants in Botswana.