Here is a statement by IKEDC management on the issue.
“Our attention has been drawn to an article in Punch newspaper of August 17, 2016, in which it was reported that two members of the public had been electrocuted after a spark from an electric pole, resulted in a fire incidence on Shogbamu Street in the Bariga area of Lagos State.
Ikeja Electric Plc wishes to bring to the public attention the facts of the unfortunate event that occurred on the early hours of Tuesday, August 16, 2016.
Contrary to the publication, our investigations reveal that the fire began within an electronics shop and was not caused by a spark from an electric pole.
At the scene of the fire, there is no evidence of felled power lines or snapped power cables as erroneously reported in the publication. It is also important to mention that thankfully, no member of the public was electrocuted or suffered any major physical injury as a result of the fire outbreak
The relevant agency is still in the process of conducting investigation into the actual cause of the fire and will publish their findings shortly.
Furthermore, it is advisable to turn off all appliances, disconnecting cables from power outlets at the close of business or when the devices are not in use. Ikeja Electric has a dedicated Network Safety Monitoring Team that is set up to address and respond to any safety related questions or issues.
The team can be reached via e-mail HSE@ikejaelectric.com, or through any of our customer care lines: 01-7000250, 01-4483900 and 0700-0-2255-453.
Ikeja Electric wishes to assure its customers of her commitment to the safe, efficient and effective distribution of power within her network.