Home » Home Latest News from Nigeria » Evans’ Trial Update: Witness Recounts Miraculous Escape
Across Nigeria Breaking News News The Heat

Evans’ Trial Update: Witness Recounts Miraculous Escape

Evans with his lawyer

Donatus Duru, a witness in the ongoing trial of suspected kidnapper,Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike alias Evans has recounted how he miraculously escaped from the den where he was chained after his kidnap.

Duru stated that he was saved by God a day before he was scheduled to by killed by Evans and his gang.

Narrating his ordeal before the court, Duru said: ‘I overheard one of the kidnappers tell others that the best option was to kill me since my brothers were not acting fast in paying their One million Euro ransom.

“But after I prayed in the midnight of Thursday, before the Friday they scheduled to kill me, I wrapped the bedspread in the room where they kept me, round the shackles on my legs, like the one used to chain mad people, the padlocks opened up; Ifound the kidnapper guarding me deep in sleep on a three-seater in the parlour.

” I walked to the kitchen; found the doors open, then to the protector, eased my way through loose locks; and surprisingly found a ladder in the compound that aided my escape into the next compound.”

Chief Duru further told the court presided over by Hon. Justice Hakeem Oshodi that he spent 88 days in the kidnappers den situated at somewhere in Igando, Lagos.

Narrating he was kidnapped, Chief Duru said: “I closed from work around 7:30p.m. when an SUV double-crossed me and a man came down from the car and pointed the long gun at me. He dragged me down and pushed me into the booth of their car and covered the car.

” I found myself in their den and during an interaction on phone with their chairman Evans, he threatened me that it was only God that could save me from their hands and that no man will ever find me even if they kill me.

“On the day I jumped into the next compound which was also a bungalow like the one I was kept, I sustained injuries and I was looking very unkempt and haggard. The couple I jumped into their compound were scared. They threatened to call security in the street or the police. I told them to call the police. When they were about to do that, electricity went off and they abandoned me and went back to sleep. At that time, I realized that the kidnappers had started looking for me. So I hid somewhere till morning.

“The couple woke up to see me and decided to call the street chairman. But before they could do that, a young man of about 24 years old, flogged and chased me out of the compound. I got to a nursery school around the kidnappers’ den and the corporate guards there didn’t still believe my story. Somehow, another man who listened to my story decided to call my wife and cousin when I gave him their numbers. It was my cousin’s own that connected and they spoke. So the man then believed that I was not a thief. He then took me to Idimu Police Station. Ilupeju police station where my brothers’ initially logged the complaint of my kidnap was contacted. From there, we went to Anti-cultism and kidnap in Surulere and to Lagos State Police Commissioner’s office, from where all us went to the kidnappers’ den.

“Thereafter, I was taken to Police house in Lagos where I saw Evans and the 2nd defendant. Also at Agege police station, I saw the 4th defendant known as Congo, who is from my home town. At the meetings, they pleaded that I should forgive them that it was devil that pushed them.”

During cross examination, the counsel to the 1st, 2nd and 4th defendants, Olukoya Ogungbede reminded the victim cum witness that he wrote in his statement at the police that he was kidnapped in April but told the court that it was in February. And he replied that it was a mistake.

Justice Oshodi adjourned the matter till May 11, 2018 for continuation of cross examination and trial

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment






%d bloggers like this: